for Global Change
We are a research group based at the Department of Electronics, Information, and Bioengineering, Politecnico di Milano. Our research mission is advancing environmental decision-analytics for supporting human decisions in complex engineering systems including multiple actors and exposed to evolving multisectoral demands and global change. Our research fuses environmental, climate, and hydrologic disciplines with machine learning, optimal control, and evolutionary computation. This multidisciplinary mix yields innovative, flexible, and robust solutions facilitating participatory decision making processes by addressing the multifaceted complexity of environmental systems, including their nested interdependencies across stakeholders, processes, and policies at different spatial scales; as well as potential changes in human-nature interactions and feedbacks under changing climate extremes and societal demands.
- Giuliani, M., Zaniolo, M., Sinclair, S., Micotti, M., van Orshoven, J, Burlando, P., Castelletti, A(2022). Participatory design of robust and sustainable development pathways in the Omo-Turkana river basin, Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, 41, 101116.
- Kondolf, G., Schmitt, R., (…), Bizzi, S., Castelletti, A., (…), Wild, T. (2022). Save the Mekong Delta from Drowning, Science 376(6593): 583–85.
- Almeida, R.M., Schmitt, R.J.P., Castelletti, A., (…), McIntyre, P.B. (2022) Strategic planning of hydropower development: balancing benefits and socioenvironmental costs, Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 56.
- Fletcher, S., Hadjimichael, A., Quinn, J., Osman, K., Giuliani, M., Gold, D., Figueroa, A.J., and Gordon, B. (2022). Equity in Water Resources Planning: A Path Forward for Decision Support Modelers, Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 148(7): 02522005
- Tangi, M., Bizzi, S., Fryirs, K., and Castelletti, A. (2022). A dynamic, network scale sediment (dis)connectivity model to reconstruct historical sediment transfer and river reach sediment budgets, Water Resources Research, 58, e2021WR030784.
- Giuliani, M., J.R. Lamontagne, M.I. Hejazi, P.M. Reed, and A. Castelletti (2022), Unintended consequences of climate change mitigation for African river basins, Nature Climate Change, 12, 187–192