for Global Change
We are a research group based at the Department of Electronics, Information, and Bioengineering, Politecnico di Milano. Our research mission is advancing environmental decision-analytics for supporting human decisions in complex engineering systems including multiple actors and exposed to evolving multisectoral demands and global change. Our research fuses environmental, climate, and hydrologic disciplines with machine learning, optimal control, and evolutionary computation. This multidisciplinary mix yields innovative, flexible, and robust solutions facilitating participatory decision making processes by addressing the multifaceted complexity of environmental systems, including their nested interdependencies across stakeholders, processes, and policies at different spatial scales; as well as potential changes in human-nature interactions and feedbacks under changing climate extremes and societal demands.
- Belletti, B., C. Garcia de Leaniz, J. Jones, S. Bizzi, L. Borger, G. Segura, A. Castelletti, et al. (2020), More than one million barriers fragment Europe’s rivers, Nature, 588, 436-444
- Giuliani, M., L. Crochemore, I. Pechlivanidis, and A. Castelletti (2020), From skill to value: isolating the influence of end user behavior on seasonal forecast assessment, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 24
- Wu, W., H.R. Maier, G.C. Dandy, M. Arora, and A. Castelletti (2020), The changing nature of the water–energy nexus in urban water supply systems: a critical review of changes and responses, Journal of Water and Climate Change, jwc2020276
- Amaranto, A., F. Pianosi, D. Solomatine, G. Corzo and F.M. Arriola (2020), Sensitivity analysis of data-driven groundwater forecasts to hydroclimatic controls in irrigated croplands, Journal of Hydrology , 124957
- Denaro, S., A. Castelletti, M. Giuliani, and G. Characklis (2020), Insurance portfolio diversification through bundling for competing agents exposed to uncorrelated drought and flood risks, Water Resources Research, 56, 1–20